Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sept. 19th 2011

1. Motive is the central element of the Divine centered Leadership Model.  Please describe what motivates you to volunteer as a leader in BYUSA.
-I volunteer in BYUSA because I love the students here on BYU campus. I love BYU. The opportunity to attend this university has changed my life, and has helped me personally in my path to eternal life. I love that everyone here has entered to learn and will go forth and serve in whatever capacities they will. 
There are students here who don't know what joy and peace service can bring to their own life and the lives of others. There are students here who only think service is a one time action or event and not a lifestyle choice and decision, and I think that I specifically can help other people see that leadership and service are for everyone. 


2. "Each of us might well ask, “In what ways am I shrinking or holding back?” Meek introspection may yield some bold insights! For example, we can tell much by what we have already willingly discarded along the pathway of discipleship."  Describe how you can use this question to help you improve as a leader in terms of the  concept of challenging unrighteosness.


-I think asking myself this question will be useful on my pathway to discipleship, because I can honestly answer and see if I'm really giving all that I can to being a leader centered on Jesus Christ. 


3.  Describe an experience where you have had to make a sacrifice in a leadership role.  How did this experience help you improve as a leader?


-One time that sticks out to me, i'm not sure if this entirely applies, was in high school. I was the Senior Class President, and I happened to be voted on homecoming court and for the homecoming parade there is a special float for all the of the seniors who were on homecoming court. Being the class president, I had special obligations to our senior class and creating our own float for the contest. Everyone who is on the homecoming court is expected to ride the homecoming float, but I told the leadership director that I didn't want to be on the homecoming court float, but I felt it was more important to be on the senior class float with all of the people in my class who I have stewardship over, instead of leaving them to be on the other float. That was a sacrifice that I made; I gave up some glory (in a sense) of being on the homecoming court float, so that I could be with and support the entire senior class that voted me into that office. I feel by making that sacrifice it told my class where my priorities were and that I wasn't afraid to challenge tradition and norms, but instead do what I felt was the right thing. I think I improved as a leader from that scenario because I had a chance to exercise my agency, and make a decision that I felt was right, even though it wasn't popular. It helped me focus on the needs of the students I was over instead of pursuing my own happiness or attaining of glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment